A very rare, pre-WWI, silk 'Stevengraph' postcard, signed by a dozen passengers and in excellent, unused condition.
RMS HILDEBRAND was a twin screw passenger ship, built by Scott's Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Greenock, for The Booth Steamship Co., Ltd, Booth Line, Liverpool. She was the company's largest ship in her time. Her maiden voyage started 16/04/1911 when she left Liverpool for Le Havre and Manaus.
On 05/12/1914 she was commissioned as the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS HILDEBRAND and allocated to the 10th Cruiser Squadron; 02/10/1917 while escorting a convoy bound for the Clyde, she was closely missed by a torpedo which sank HMS DRAKE. 17/01/1919 returned to Booth Line and in October rescued the crew of the US schooner ERNST T. LEE off Pará; 19/07/1932 left the Mersey for breaking up, but was laid up at Milford Haven in case trade picked up and she could be sold for further trading. 02/1934 sold to J. Cashmore and scrapped at Newport, Mon.