This is one of 2 chairs from RMS Majestic that have been in our 'White Star Memories' exhibition archive for about 20 years and have been displayed around the world.
In the last of the images, Majestic's first class dining saloon can be seen in glorious colour, in an illustration from a White Star Line brochure that was issued in the late 1920's. The colour scheme remained the same until the end of her career as a passenger liner (courtesy: Mark Chirnside). The chair was no doubt recovered after the dispersal sale of the ships contents and is covered in blue leather.
Furniture from White Star Line ships is highly collectible, so this is a rare opportunity to acquire a usable item in good condition and an appreciating asset!
PLEASE NOTE: Please ask for a shipping quote BEFORE ordering. Collection welcome from our Milton Keynes warehouse by prior arrangement. Domestic & International shipping also available at cost.
RMS Majestic was a White Star liner working on the North Atlantic run, originally launched in 1914 as the Hamburg America Line liner SS Bismarck. At 56,551 GRT, she was the largest ship in the world until completion of SS Normandie in 1935.
The third and largest member of German HAPAG Line's trio of transatlantic liners, her completion was delayed by World War I. She never sailed under the German flag except on her sea trials in 1922. Following the war, she was finished by her German builders, handed over to the allies as war reparations and became the White Star Line flagship Majestic. She was the second White Star ship to bear the name, the first being the RMS Majestic in 1889. She served successfully throughout the 1920's, but the onset of the Great Depression made her increasingly unprofitable. She managed to struggle through the first half of the 1930's before being sold off for scrapping to Thomas Ward. She was taken possession of by the British Admiralty before demolition commenced after an agreement was reached with White Star and Thomas Ward. She served the Royal Navy as the training ship HMS Caledonia before catching fire in 1939 and sinking. She was subsequently raised and scrapped in 1943. (courtesy: Wikipedia)